Full Round 2 Preview
It was a tough round one for most punters & tipsters, congrats if you managed to find a few winners! Will there be as many upsets this round? Will teams like the Bunnies & Manly bounce back? It’s only early days but a few nervous players and coaches I would dare say.
Let’s get down to business…
Storm ($1.38) vs Rabbitohs ($3.05)
- Latrell is back!
- Bunnies were woeful last week
- Storm Round 1 win came at a cost
- Munny back but B Smith, Welch & Jennings gooooooone
- Melbourne at home
The Bunnies were woeful last week when getting towelled up by the Broncs, can they bounce back now that Latrell is back? The Storm had one of the wins of their illustrious record when bravely defeating the Tigers after so many injuries and missing players. Munster comes back into the side after his powder penalty and by all reports, his stint in rehab has done him wonders. We know what we get with Melbourne, but I think the Bunnies will bounce back & prove they still have something to offer in this competition. Forget last week, different side with Mitchell back. Bunnies can win.
Dragons ($3.70) vs Panthers ($1.28)
- Seriously, how good were Penny last week?!
- No Cleary, no worries
- Sims still can’t crack Dragons starting side
- Diminished packs – Woods (Dragons) & Leota (Panthers) both ruled out
- Rava v To’o – Pick on someone your own size!
Whilst both teams are coming off wins it is the Panthers win that has everyone talking. They were outstanding, you wouldn’t have even noticed that Cleary wasn’t there. Credit to Penrith to turn up like that in Round 1 & it is ominous signs for the rest of the competition. We all know how strong Penny’s left edge attack is but I think they’ll have good success attacking to their right targeting Suli and Ramsey on the Dragons left edge. Steve Crichton scored one & had one disallowed last week. He can score again with his matchup on Suli.
Roosters ($1.82) vs Sea Eagles ($2)
- Teddy v Turbo
- Both sides very ordinary in Round 1
- Super Sub Dylan Walker named on the bench for Manly
- Are they top 4 sides who are just slow to begin? Or on the way down?
This has the makings of a cracking game. Both were awful to begin their seasons considering the weight of expectation on them, but that isn’t exactly out of character for these two either. I’d expect both to see this as a pretty important clash to get back to basics, rip in, run hard & tackle hard. Don’t expect any fancy footy here, this will be an old fashioned arm wrestle and I’m all for it! With that being the case I’m diving into the unders.
Titans ($1.38) vs Warriors ($3.05)
- Titans refused to tackle conceding 32 points
- Titans also refused to pass Fifita the ball
- SJ a massive loss for the Warriors
- The man with the most mesmerising eyes in footy makes his return – Reece Walsh
- This could be a cricket score
The loss of Shaun Johnson for the Warriors is a massive blow to their chances and has seen an avalanche of money for the Titans. I’m not sold on the Titans and couldn’t possibly trust them to perform, the same is true for the Warriors too. Neither team really like tackling all that much and even with SJ on the sidelines, this looks a game that could see a stack of tries (mainly through weak defence).
Sharks ($2.15) vs Eels ($1.70)
- Hynes showed glimpses of brilliance
- Parra need to sort their defence out
- How is Moylan still a first grader?!
- Paulo & RCG are scary
- Matto ruled out with hammy strain
- Expect Sharks to improve
Parra come into this with set combinations & a side largely unchanged for multiple seasons. On the other hand, the Sharks have made a stack of changes and that showed last week, they were clunky at times and need to work on their combinations and timing. Parra are a great side to work on things like that, they have some defensive lapses and come in and out of games, as we saw last week when conceding a stack of points. Sharks can get them here.
Cowboys ($2.50) vs Raiders ($1.53)
- Lolo spending too much time on the bench
- Payten is stubborn
- Jack Wighton has a time machine & returned to 2020!
- Hodgson gooooone, Starling in
- Raiders were very good
- Schneider got the bat flu
Poor Schneider, he was fantastic last week at halfback but has been ruled out due to COVID. Matt Frawley steps in and whilst his kicking game is fine, he will put pressure on Wighton to carry their attack, and as we saw last year, he’s not up to that. Wighton relished having a proper half next him last week, he was simply outstanding and back to his Dally M winning form. I’m not sure he can replicate that form with Frawley at 7. The knives are out for the Cows but I thought they were ok in a gritty game considering Lolo was underdone & they were hit with late injuries.
Knights ($1.44) vs Tigers ($2.80)
- Knights shocked the Roosters (and me!)
- Who does Luke Brooks have photos of?
- Will Madge last the week?!
- Can the Knights back up last weeks success?
I was pretty harsh on the knights last week and surprise surprise – they come out and look like world-beaters…haha always the way. Credit to them though, they simply outplayed the Roosters in every single way. The question is, was that a fluke or can they do it consistently? The Tigers are the Tigers, they were entitled to win against a Storm team that had players out of position, debutants, injuries, and missing Munster. Could I possible back the Knights at $1.44 – heck no! I’ll have a small interest in the big fella Luciano Leilua to grab a meat pie @ $3.75
Bulldogs ($2.25) vs Broncos ($1.65)
- Dogs clung on to win against the Cows
- Gus loves drones
- Broncs look set to have Reynolds in
- Was the Broncs win a fluke?
- Why don’t they pass the ball to Staggs?!
- Kelly beats Walters to the 6 jersey
One of the games I managed to get right last week was the Broncs upsetting the Bunnies, bless them. Was that win a fluke or can we expect to see the Broncs improve this season? It’s a tough one to answer. We get our first look at Reynolds in a Broncs jersey & I am intrigued to see what he can do off the back of the Broncs big pack (mainly Haas). The Dogs will look to make this a physical contest and take Haas on, all I can say is good luck.
Good luck & good punting!
*All prices and lines are correct as of the time of writing & are courtesy of Ladbrokes, who are offering $2 lines on ALL games during Round 2. T&C’s apply, check their website for more details.
Gamble Responsibly – 1800 858 858