Full Round 2 Preview
Geez the Dees were impressive to start the season and they look set for another big year! The Pies got off to a flyer for new coach McRae and what about Blues fans, they’re already purchasing GF tickets!
Let’s get stuck into Round 2…
Western Bulldogs ($1.60) vs Carlton ($2.35)
- Bont named after overcoming ankle injury
- Bailey Smith (hip) injured and will miss this clash
- Carlton off to a flyer – Book your GF tickets Blues fans!
- Dogs looking to bounce back
The good news for the Dogs is that Bont looks set to play, but the bad news is young gun Bailey Smith will be absent. Carlton got off to a flying start and are looking to start their campaign with back to back wins, something they haven’t done since 2012! Blues fans were out buying GF tickets after last week, they may be re considering after this one I feel…
Swans ($1.72) vs Cats ($2.15)
- Both strong winners to open the season
- Buddy sits at 996 career goals
- Buddy has failed to kick more than 2 goals against the Cats in 5 of last 6 matches
- Swans 2 pt winners in round 7 last year
- Swans back to the SCG
Two strong winners, arguably the strongest of the round, come together on Friday night to do battle. Buddy Franklin only managed 1 goal last week taking his career tally to 996 and for those of you mathematically challenged, that leaves him 4 goals shy of the 1000 club. Back to the footy, and playing at home at the SCG I can see the Swans coming out on top.
Collingwood ($1.38) vs Crows ($3.05)
- Craig McRae’s Pies 1 from 1
- Pies only managed 6 wins last season
- Pies look set to play more attacking style now Bucks has gone
- Crows 1 point losers last week
- Debutant Rachele kicked 5 goals!
The Pies host the Crows at the MCG for this Saturday clash. If the weather is fine, this new attacking style of footy the Pies have adopted under new coach McRae will be suited and they’ll be too good for the Crows. It was a heartbreaking start to the season for the Crows and their fans after falling 1 point short against Freo. Pies look to have a new lease on life with McRae and that’s usually a good recipe. Pies to win well.
Essendon ($2.85) vs Lions ($1.42)
- Oh Bombers fans…It’s a tough gig…
- Lions roared home against Port (awful pun!)
- Daniher (4 goals) & Neale (31 disposals) both excellent
- 40+ margins between these two in last 3 matches
Quite strangely the favourite in the last 3 clashes between these 2 has run out 40+ margin winners. The Lions are always better at the Gabba but the Bombers were made to look second rate against Geelong and doubt their situation gets any easier with Daniher, Neale and co. Lions 40+.
Port ($1.24) vs Hawthorn ($4.10)
- Port back to the Adelaide Oval
- Port suffered injuries & relinquished a 15 point lead at the final break
- Doubt surrounding the fitness of Aliir, Duursma, Gray & McKenzie for Port
- Hawks off to a flyer downing North Melb (another awful pun!)
There are some fitness concerns over a few Port players which saw them succumb to an 11 point loss to the Lions after leading by 15 at the final break. I’m pretty confident Port will do enough to win, especially at Adelaide Oval, but I think the Hawks, buoyed by their season-opening win, can keep this much closer than the market suggests. Hawks to do enough to cover 24.5 points.
Suns ($4.10) vs Melbourne ($1.24)
- Both victorious in the opening round
- Petracca – 38 disposals, 9 clearances & 2 goals!
- Suns beat up on a depleted West Coast
- Last time they met – Dees 128 to Suns 30
Talking through my kick, it was great to see the Suns start the season hot (oh man, these puns are getting worse!) but they face a completely different level of opposition in this. Melbourne picked up where they left off last season by thrashing the Dogs. Petracca was immense last week and better than even money for him to kick to goals is too big for me to ignore!
Nth Melb ($2.15) vs West Coast ($1.70)
- Both looking for 1st win of 2022
- Kangas gave up a 21 point lead to get flogged
- West Coast were brave in defeat after being down on troops
- Shuey, Darling, Kelly Witherden & Ryan all look set to return
At the time of writing, this game looks super tricky as it’s uncertain how many players West Coast will get back. If they get the likes of Shuey, Darling, Kelly, Witherden & Ryan back, they’ll win this and win well. If still down on troops it makes life difficult but I still think they’ll find a way. Kangas aren’t much chop.
Richmond ($2.25) vs GWS ($1.65)
- Richmond lost to Carlton in the first round for the first time since 2012
- Tigers gave up a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter
- Giants gave up a 15 point lead against the Swans
- Tigers midfield is a massive concern
Both sides looking for their first win of the season after suffering pretty similar defeats in the opening round. Richmond gave up a 20 point fourth-quarter lead and quite alarmingly, no Tiger accumulated more than 21 disposals, highlighting their lack of midfield depth. GWS also gave up a lead late in the game when 15 points ahead in the 3rd quarter ultimately falling 112-92 losers. I don’t have much between these two, I’ll take the Tigers with the start…
Fremantle ($1.48) vs St Kilda ($2.65)
- Fyfe & Darcy pushing to return
- 1 point win to start the season for Freo
- Saints flogged by rejuvenated Pies in their opener
- Last time they met – Saints won 107-49 in round 23 last season
We finish the round with Fremantle & the Saints doing battle at Optus Stadium. Fremantle were lucky to hold on against Adelaide last week but that was without Fyfe & Darcy who look set to return. The Saints farewelled Shane Warne last week but also farewelled their winning chances very early with the Pies completely obliterating them. At home, with players returning I’ll be backing Fremantle to win well.
Good luck & good punting!
*All prices and lines are correct as of the time of writing & are courtesy of Ladbrokes, who are offering $2 lines on ALL games during Round 2. T&C’s apply, check their website for more details.
Gamble Responsibly – 1800 858 858