Round 5 Preview
Well, we got 4 rounds in before Saint Peter decided to get his hands on the game again. In case you missed it, the NRL have sent a memo to teams and press that the refs will be cracking down on slowing down the ruck. Apparently, the wrestle has crept back in and it’s too hard for the darlings of the game to run past fatigued defenders and look like the second coming of Dally Messenger. Anyways, still bets to be had and winners to be found.
Let’s find some shall we…
Knights ($1.77) vs Manly ($2.05)
- No Turbo
- Ponga locked in new deal at the Knights
- Aloiai made a solid return last week
- Will Koula or Garrick replace Turbo at FB?
- Bradman Best licking his lips against Harper
Manly opened up as much as 5.5 points favourites before the news of Tommy Turbo being out for a month, off the back of this sobering news for Manly fans the Knights have firmed into favourites. Bradman Best will be licking his lips looking at Morgan Harper who, quite frankly, is sh!t. Look for the knights to feed the man with the best name in Rugby League some early ball so he can have his way with Harper. Knights to win, Best to score @ $5 looks juicy!
Warriors ($1.82) vs Cowboys ($2)
- Cows looking to keep 13 men on the park
- Fonua-Blake dropped
- Drinkwater replaces injured Hammer at FB
- Cows humbled by Chooks
- Warriors flattered by Broncs
The first of the Friday night clashes may not inspire many to make sure they’re home from work in time to watch, but this should be a decent game of footy. Cows coach Toddy Payten comes up against his old club who are coming off a solid win against a poor Broncos team. Walsh has started to look dangerous at the back and his combination with SJ is only sure to improve. The Cows will be looking to bounce back and although the scoreline didn’t reflect it, they weren’t that bad in defeat. They played 28 mins a man down and weren’t blown off the park by a Roosters team that played about as well as they could. Cows win this.
Broncos ($4.50) vs Roosters ($1.20)
- Haas would kill Kelly if they actually went at it!
- Chooks will need to be disciplined
- Brisbane aren’t very good
- Walters named at 6
- Teddy and co could have some fun
Whilst the Chooks got to beat up on 12 men against the Cows, some of their combinations started to look slick again. This week they come up against 17 individuals who call themselves the Broncos. This has the potential to be over after 10 minutes, the Broncs are seriously bad in so many areas and if the Chooks turn up again, this one will be over real quick.
Raiders ($4.10) vs Storm ($1.24)
- Raiders home game in Wagga Wagga
- Sticky up to his usual tricks
- Storm getting back to their clinical best
- Ricky, stop playing Frawley at hooker!
- How many tries for Paps this week?
The Raiders have been woeful in patches this season, highlighted by some really poor performances last week against a struggling Manly side. Things go from bad to worse for them as they come up against a Storm side that is airborne. The Storm should pack too many points and win 13+, for some extra cream I’ll throw in Meaney to score as well.
Rabbitohs ($1.33) vs Dragons ($3.35)
- Bunnies 1 from 4 to start the season
- Dragons also 1 from 4
- Dragons need to find some attack
- Bunnies slowly building
- Hook gone with similar side to last week
Dragons coach Hook Griffin has made his intentions clear, defence, defence, and more defence. Their attack is non-existent and their lack of ability to trouble defences will be highlighted when the Bunnies put 40 on them. Enough said really.
Titans ($3.10) vs Eels ($1.36)
- Do the Titans know Fifita is on their team?!
- What a bludger the Titans v Tigers game was!
- Dylan Brown back to his best
- Parra ticking over nicely
- Can the Titans bounce back?
The Titans are an incredibly up and down side, they’ll look good one week before looking like the early 90’s Cowboys the next. Coach Holbrook needs to find a way to get the ball in the hands of their main attacking weapon Fifita wherever possible. Parra are looking for 3 wins on the trot and as witnessed last week, they are flat track bullies who can pile on the pain real quick. Parra to ski, i mean run, downhill again.
Sharks ($1.12) vs Tigers ($6.50)
- Poor Madge
- Tigers brutal last-second loss last week
- Sharkies up and about winning 3 in a row
- Tigers about to 0 from 5…
There’ll be plenty for Scomo to cheer in this (but maybe not so much after the election…) as his beloved Sharkies should be far too good for a Tigers side that had their hearts broken in the last second last week. That was a stinker of a game that neither team deserved to win but when you’re going bad things never seem to go your way. I’d love to see the Tigers upset them here but I’d also love to see a winning quaddie ticket in my bet slip but sometimes things just aren’t meant to be.
Bulldogs ($7.75) vs Panthers ($1.08)
- Doggies lost 3 on the trot
- Penny almost at full strength
- Burton up against his old club (and Naden)
- Flanno vs Cleary – I wonder who will come out on top…
The last game of the round sees the shortest priced favourites for the week. 19.5 points seems like a big line but when you factor in Penny’s solid defence, The Dogs inability to score, and faster rucks – It all points to a Penny big win.
Good luck & good punting!
*All prices and lines are correct as of the time of writing & are courtesy of Ladbrokes, who are offering $2 lines on Thursday & Friday games during Round 5. T&C’s apply, check their website for more details.
Gamble Responsibly – 1800 858 858